Friday, May 10, 2019

Journaling




It’s no secret among those who know me that I am a huge fan of journaling. Today I came across a quote that I had copied into one of my journals, from my study of the book Draw a Circle by Mark Batterson. He makes the case that journaling is actually a spiritual discipline. I agree. I do have one caveat to add to his quote (see below).

“The shortest pencil is longer than the longest memory. Journaling is one of the most overlooked and undervalued spiritual disciplines. In my estimation, it is on a par with praying, fasting, and meditating. It's the way we document what God is doing in our lives. We have a natural tendency to remember what we should forget and forget what we should remember. Journaling is the best antidote, maybe the only antidote, to spiritual amnesia.” (Mark Batterson) 

*Note: I am not a theologian, but I’m not sure I would put journaling “on a par” with praying and fasting. I would liken it to meditating, actually.

The watercolor art that I am posting today isn’t directly related to journaling, but I’ll just insert it to give the reader a break from my words!

These two pieces represent what I do as a quick break from the more serious and detailed art classes I am currently doing online (Anna Mason School). One of the works from Anna’s classes is about a 4-6 hour process. These two pieces here took about 15 minutes each. 

The little birdies are pen and ink with watercolor (sketch with pencil, then paint, then outline with pen).

The peach was done with no sketching, using the wet on wet technique, just putting down the paintbrush and painting the peach and leaves, and then dropping in more color.

#journaling #MarkBatterson #DrawaCircle #watercolorpractice #penandinkwatercolor


No comments: