Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Leisure Time: Life Assessment {HeartStrings~RV’ing}

IMG_2293

September 8, 2017 - Out to celebrate our 52nd anniversary. Time to assess and review, again. We often, of late, have discussions about how we want to spend our days. Notice I didn’t say, “how to live out our days,” or “how to spend the days we have left,” or any other morbid way of stating what may be the unavoidable truth and yet can be controlled by us, in terms of how we actually view it, and how we “speak it.”

And, in reality, anyone who is retired should be having these evaluative discussions. Time moves quickly. Days fly by. A year passes before you know it. Our time is limited. So, once the requirements of jobs and work are no longer, it really is wise to think about it. How do we want to spend our days?

We stay busy. In addition to keeping up communication with our children and grandchildren and activities with our siblings/spouses (our best friends), hubby works outside on our place, clearing brush, cutting wood, and checking over the property on his Side by Side.

IMG_2280

I keep very occupied with my hobbies of scrapbooking and art. I also enjoy playing my baby grand piano and working on music for the praise band at our church (keyboard).

IMG_2321

new keyboard

But we are realizing that what we don’t want to do is to spend every day the same way, even if the things we are doing are fun and far from boring. We like to add a little more excitement into the mix, a little more of the unexpected, a little more serendipity.

So one of the results of our recent “review” was that we fondly recalled how much we always loved camping and cross-country travel (just for the heck of it). Russell has wanted a motorhome for a long time (although we had tabled active discussions on the subject for the last few years), and he deserves to have it. Besides, I happen to share his feelings about it. My requirement: must “reside” at our place—no storing it off-site.

We decided to look for something very small that would be easy to drive, easy to get down our driveway lane, and could be parked on the driveway next to the house.

IMG_2297

FullSizeRender

Found it! A Thor Compass, she is 23.5’ long and has everything we need, including a slide that allows for a queen-sized bed. And love that automatic awning!!

We have taken her out for a one-night camping trip so far. We will certainly use it for camping but also plan to totally enjoy it for cross-country travel (pretty much sick of hotels, frankly).

IMG_2306

IMG_2308

IMG_2309

IMG_2311

So, one of my blog categories is now “RV’ing.”

Oh, and another result of the review and assessment: I’m pretty sick of Facebook (especially with the recent change that means if I follow someone I see everything they like, who they have become friends with, and whatever else Facebook deems I would want to see). I am considering blogging more, using Instagram more and Facebook less (or maybe not at all). I’m in charge of me. Remember, I get to decide how I spend my days, and in the end, in the end, I don’t want to spend so many hours of those precious days allowing someone else to set my mood and tell me how to think and feel. So, that’s what I have to say about that!

#HeartStrings #RVing #Thor #Compass #Motorhome

No comments: