Saturday, April 16, 2016

Not Just for Gideon {Bible Art Journaling}

BAJC HIC Lesson 4

Lesson 4 of Rebekah Jones’ 2016 Bible Art Journaling Challenge (Heaven is Calling): The Lord is With You. The Bible passage focuses on the story of Gideon. I love the story. Gideon was honest with God when he was called out to serve in a special way. Gideon did not feel worthy and in fact couldn’t see himself as “having what it took” to accomplish the task. God was patient with Gideon, but He reminded Gideon more than once: “The Lord is with you.” God even called Gideon a “mighty warrior.” Finally, Gideon followed God’s direction, and he was successful, just as God had promised.

Sometimes I am critical of Gideon, and as I read the story, I want to call him aside and say, “Do you know who you are talking to? How can you question that He will be with you. He shouldn’t have had to tell you more than once, and He was very patient with you as you ‘put out the fleece’ to test Him. If He says He will be with you, He will. Now stop doubting.”

Boom. That’s it right there. I am not that different from Gideon. I know in my heart that God will be with me, no matter what He asks me to do. And yet, in my head, doubt creeps in every single time. How dare I question my all-powerful God. Well, maybe I don’t question him as boldly as did Gideon. But I AM questioning if I am fearful and have any doubt that HE WILL BE WITH ME.

I should learn from the Old Testament story of Gideon.

Judges 6

11 The angel of the Lord came and sat down under the oak in Ophrahthat belonged to Joash the Abiezrite, where his son Gideon was threshing wheat in a winepress to keep it from the Midianites.

 12 When the angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon, he said, “The Lord is with you, mighty warrior.

13 “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but if the Lord is with us, why has all this happened to us? Where are all his wonders that our ancestors told us about when they said, ‘Did not the Lord bring us up out of Egypt?’ But now the Lord has abandoned us and given us into the hand of Midian.”

14 The Lord turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?”

15 “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.

16 The Lord answered, “I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites, leaving none alive.”

Judges 8

28 Thus Midian was subdued before the Israelites and did not raise its head again. During Gideon’s lifetime, the land had peace forty years.

#BibleArtJournalingChallenge #BibleArtJournaling #BibleArt #ScriptureArt #FaithArt #IllustratedFaith #CreativeWorship

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're right -- Boom!