Thursday, January 22, 2015

Truth AND Love: Week #3 {Documented Life/Documented Faith}

DLP Week 3

DLP Week 3 straight on

DLP Week 3 c

My “usual” art journals are much smaller than this 9x12 Dylusions journal that was suggested for use in the “2015 Documented Life: The Journal” Project. Not only is it more awkward to work in (because I’m not used to it), but it’s hard to find space to lay it aside while it dries, etc. I’ve added a small table to my studio just for the space issue. And, to help alleviate being overwhelmed at filling HUGE blank pages, for this spread, I elected to leave white space all around the border. Much better. For me.

The challenge for Week #3 in DLP is “Color Wheel.” My take on the challenge was to start with a rainbow of intense colors, using NeoColor II watercolor crayons, blended with baby wipes. I used the new Dina Wakley paints also, as well as several stamps. I free-handed a few hearts from vintage book paper and painted them with Dina’s Ruby paint.

For the “prompt,” I often go with thoughts from the Documented Faith project, as I am combining these two projects for the year. The DF word for the month is “truth.” I chose a scripture passage that deals with truth AND love.

I know we often talk about “telling the truth IN love,” and I do know there is a time and place for that philosophy. It is often a solution. I will say, however, that there are times when that philosophy is used as a rationale for plain-old hurting someone’s feelings. Sometimes, love means being quiet (did you catch that, Self?).

That aside, my project this time is about the combination of truth AND love. In my thinking, love cannot exist without truth (though truth could possibly exist without love).

I love this passage from one of my favorite chapters in the Bible:

LOVE does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the TRUTH.

– 1 Corinthians 13:6 (NIV)

No comments: