Thursday, March 7, 2013

Tattered Florals

Tattered Florals

Top Row, Left to Right:

~Gelli Print (acrylic paint) and stencils on Bunn coffee filter
~Dylusions Sprays and stencils on #4 coffee filter
~Gelli Print (acrylic paint) and stencils on Bunn coffee filter
~Tim Holtz tissue paper, painted with four colors of Distress Paint (before cutting)

Second Row, Left to Right:

~Book text (and a couple of pieces of muslin) sprayed with Heidi Swapp Color Shine (after cutting)
~White cardstock covered with washi tape (before cutting)
~Dylusions Sprays and stencils on #4 coffee filter

All leaves were cut from #4 coffee filters first sprayed with Dylusions Spray.

Well, I learned something about myself. Or rather, I should say I reminded myself of something I have always known is true about me. I do not love to do a project for the sake of a project. For me, there always needs to be a reason for the output. That is, while I do enjoy a process, I’m more about the product. That was always true in my teaching/learning as well. When I first started teaching myself about computers, I realized that I could learn about any software program if I needed/wanted to be able to DO something specific with it after I learned it. Otherwise, learning something just for the exercise of learning, no, not so much.

So, I decided to participate in the Tattered Florals Challenge on Tim Holtz’s blog, but right away I realized it wasn’t going to be a rather large time for me. I don’t typically create elements ahead of time, just to have on hand if I need them. If I am making a tag that calls for a certain type or color of flower, I come up with the flower THEN, for THAT project. So, I started off with a bang, cut flowers and leaves out the wazoo (using the Tattered Florals Die and the Tattered Leaves Die, of course). Then I became increasingly more irritated at the pieces of florals all over my work area. So today, I gathered them all up and finished, without getting all complicated in my creations (as is obvious).

So, in the end, in the end, these will each find their way onto a scrapbook page or a tag, or maybe even an art journal page, and THEN I will enjoy the project!

8 comments:

Lisa :) said...

These are so pretty Barb! I haven't experimented with the sprays on coffee filters now I want to try it out.

Kathy Eddy said...

They turned out great Barb! I have to get some made up too, byut like you, don't have a project in mind for them right now.

Scrappin' Stacy said...

Very pretty. My favorites are the Dylusion ones, but I am partial to pinks and purples. They put you in the mood for spring.

Marjie Kemper said...

I hear ya, Barb. They've beautiful, and it will be nice to have them ready to adorn your future projects.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

It is hard to do a project for the sake of a project...not fun at all unless you find something in it you love! I do love your flowers, and they will ANY project gorgeous!

Jan Castle said...

Very pretty card...time to get out my flower die!!!!

Ntsisterz said...

Great colors. Thank you for sharing your dilemma about creating. I get kind of crazy about that myself. You enlightened me about me. TFS!

Pammymac said...

I love the colors. So fun for spring. Best of luck in the Tim Holtz challenge.
Visit my Tattered Floral entries on my blog:
Rose Box - http://eridoodle.blogspot.com/2013/03/tattered-florals-vintage-rose-box.html
and
Lunch Bag rose - http://eridoodle.blogspot.com/2013/02/tim-holtz-tattered-florals-die-challenge.html

-Pam
eri-doodle