Saturday, December 3, 2011

12 Tags of Christmas – Day 3

IMG_0319_picnikYes, I skipped a day. I am waiting for some supplies to complete the Day 2 tag. So, here is the tag for Day 3. I have three trees in my house; the lower level tree has only lights and silver balls. I am using my tags to decorate that tree.

I did not have the embossing folder that Tim used, and I was not motivated to try the stamping technique that he demonstrated (making the stamp pad and then using two tags). So, I used my Distress Ink Pads to stamp a kraft tag and then heat embossed with clear embossing powder. I used Festive Berries, Barn Door, Fired Brick, Evergreen Bough, and Pine Needles. I used a music stamp “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” across the bottom, also heat embossed. I frayed the edges of the tag and then inked the edges of the tag with Iced Spruce, Frayed Burlap, and the very edge with Walnut Stain.

This was my first experience with Perfect Pearls (Heirloom Gold). I think the technique will get better with time, but I was pleased with it, for a first try. The tag has a gold glimmer that I was not able to capture well with my camera.

I used some greenery that was left over from the Day 1 tag, and I implemented Tim’s idea for staining the bling-on-a-roll. I could not find the Red Pepper Alcohol Dye, so I bought a set that had a red in it, and it happened to be Watermelon. I used a couple of coats. Would have preferred a deeper red. An alternative would have been to use Christmas Red Stickles on top of the bling, but then the pearlized effect would have been lost.

For the ribbon, I used a trimmings piece and stained it with Festive Berries. I added the natural twine and a couple of jingle bells—for me, they have to be gold and not silver, since the overall hue of the tag is gold.

Side note: Several years ago, before I knew I could do anything at all with crafting, even before I started scrapbooking, my daughter bought a glue gun for some altered art around her house. At that time, I told her she must be adopted. A glue gun? Are you kidding me? I couldn’t even imagine going inside a Michael’s. My how things have changed! I guess she’s not adopted after all—she recognized the “genes” before I did! This is such fun!!

3 comments:

JenE said...

Love your tag..great job! Lovely blog background too!

ROC REV said...

Really? Could we have more details please? Lol.

Barbara said...

Ah, a reminder for me from my son that not everyone who visits my blog is from the crafting world, with an understanding of the need for DETAILS when a project is posted!